Wednesday 2 February 2011

Sunday Round up

I had planned to get out to the local patches early in the morning to get some extra yearticks and also to check upon the colour ringed coots at Stanley Park; however the plans went out the window when I didn't get up till 11:30! I didn't expect to get out birding after this however my parents decided to take a walk along the beach at Fleetwood, and since I still needed a few waders for the year I thought I would tag along. The tide was going out unfortunately meaning that most of the waders were a long way out, however further round the coast towards rossall point the tide doesnt go out so far and on the beach there were at least 100 Oystercatchers, 30 Redshanks and 2 Ring Plover (yeartick).

The sea wasn't much better for birds with a small passage of Cormorants numbering 74 in total, however a surprise did come in the form of a Shag (yeartick) flying north, not a common bird in my area, this is only my third. The only other birds were 9 Eider floating around on the tide. The Shag and Ringed Plovers take me up to 117 species for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment