Wednesday 12 January 2011

Return of the Geese

For the first time in what seems like an age, a noisy flock of Pink Footed Geese over school today certainly brightened up my day. My house is on one of the main flightlines from the Ribble to the Pilling/Cockerham region, the 2 areas where there are the largest numbers of birds present, which means that throughout the winter I get thousand of geese passing over my house and the neighbouring fields, and occasionally alighting briefly too. I always check the flocks as they go over just in case they contain something more interesting, a single Barnacle Goose in October being the only of note, however with plenty of other species in the area (Red Breasted, Bean, Brent and White Front), there is always a chance something will one day grace my airspace.
Will also report back tomorrow on a couple of recent ringing recoveries that I reported, including the mystery coot from mondays post ;) tune in tomorrow to find out where it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment